Monday, September 10, 2012

Welcome!


Welcome to both my first post and the one I like writing the least due to the sort of navel gazing that tends to come with such introductions, but I’ll bear this burden and then get on to content that is actually meaningful.

What’s in a name?
Probably the biggest question that needs answering is why I choose the title “Watch Out For Flying Ninjas” truth is it was an effort to break away from the norm when it comes to blog titles that deal with subjects such as nutrition, diet, and lifestyle. Also it is to serve as a constant reminder to myself not to take things too seriously. In terms of inspiration it comes from reading a myriad of diet books and other literature over the years and being promised the moon and the stars – in fact in a lot of cases they do everything short of promising to make you a flying ninja – hence the name of this blog.


Topics
What topics I intend to cover most frequently are related to diet, lifestyle, nutrition, and if I’m feeling really brave – biochemistry. I also will periodically address off-topic stuff if I find something particularly interesting to write about – which I will dub “random musings” – because who wants to write just about one all the time? In terms of diet topics my focus will be on low-carb diets due to the fact I personally have had a lot of success with them, both in terms of weight loss and biomarkers.


Well Ok, what diet is the best?
The most specific answer I’m willing to give is a low carbohydrate diet, because that can mean any number of things. What I mean is there are many different schools of thought on this, some believe you need more protein than fat, others more fat than protein, beyond that there are more specific things such as the amount of carbohydrate than can be consumed daily, what kind of fat sources should be used, what kind of meat and vegetables can be eaten and so on. My goal here is to look at different aspects but from a perspective that anyone can use them – not just me or someone doing an eating plan like I am choosing to do. Also I want to touch on lifestyle stuff, because one of the real downfalls I think of most diets – well actually two things, the first is doing something you can’t stick with indefinitely, but the other is partitioning that part of your life off in a box. I just really don’t see that working because of both my own experience and just from a practicality stand point. I also promise to address this more in depth later on.


At minimum I will have updates on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday – but will have more if I find things worthy of mention. My #1 goal to be consistent with posting here, so enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment